Home RSS Feeds


- Latest entries

- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008

Journal entries prior to May 2008 can be found in the old archived site here

Unconscious, Again
Hit by cycle courrier en route to work
Thursday, 18 August 2011

In a recent speech, at the BASE Conference, I said that it was often like a war in London's streets. And I had made the point again in a recent blog for The Guardian. But I truly didn't leave home this morning expecting to be lying in the street in a pool of my own blood within the hour. Was hit by a cycle courrier in the bus lane on Bloomsbury Way. He came out from behind a bus at warp speed--and hit me full on. I was knocked into the air and, I think because I was wearing a backpack over one shoulder, came down on my head.

When I recovered consciousness, I was surrounded by the cyclist and by several other people, who were trying to help. Blood was streaming everywhere, but I wanted to get out of the vbus lane, to let the busses through. We eventually managed that, after which a motorcycle ambulance arrived (the motorcylist dressed the wound), then Sam hotfoot from the office, then a full-blown ambulance. Everyone delightful, though I had to pressure the ambulance to get out of the bus lane and park alongside the Square, to allow a backlog of busses through.

When a policeman asked me to say what had happened, not sure he understood when I said we had been trying a little experimental trepanning. But it felt like it. Sam kindly accompanied me to the hospital, where I was cleaned up and, like a latter-day Humpty Dumpty, stuck back together with superglue. Apart from the fact that my head was swathed in bandages and I was sitting in a  wheelchair, I couldn't work out why everyone was looking at me in the waiitng area. Then, later, I realsied that two streams of blood had flowed across my scalp and pooled above each eye, then dried, making me look like some weird sort of clown. And I suppose I was.

Then we walked back to the office, having missed a session at JWT I was meant to chair for The Future Quotient project.  But a great group of people were at 2 Bloomsbury Place, from both Volans and SustainAbility, working away on a new proposal, and the afternoon turned out to be one of the best I have had for quite a while. The eruption of Florence Nightingalery was something to behold.

The care I got from the NHS people was remarkable--and I am immensely grateful for it.

Posted at 10:49:00 p.m. on Thursday, 18 August 2011 by John Elkington.


Your name:

Your email address (optional)

Organization (optional):

Your website - Publish link with this comment - Yes No:

Country (optional):

Your privacy:
Your email address and organization will not be published on this site. You can choose to publish your website address with your comment.

Any information you provide will not be shared with any other person or organization.
Your comment:

Spam blocking: Type the letters and numbers you see in the image below:


©2014 John Elkington. All rights reserved.